NKU Hockey Club scores win over University of Louisville

Northern Kentucky University’s Hockey Club delivered a huge win over the University of Louisville Nov. 10 with a final score of 10-5.

After the ice was cleaned for the start of the game, the puck was dropped at center ice at exactly 10:01 p.m. It didn’t take long before the horn sounded; signaling an NKU goal 38 seconds into the first period by No. 10 Scott Hicks. Shortly after, No. 9 Justin Barr added two goals of his own. The scoring continued with No. 3 Tyler Haverly putting the puck into the net 11:48 into the game.

The Norse came out strong in the first period putting four goals in the books, but they didn’t stop there.

The second period was full of penalties as it got underway. The checking picked up and the physical side of hockey became more prevalent for both teams.

Haverly put in his second goal of the night, but U of L finally answered back 13:57 into the second period with No. 19 Jimmy Swan’s goal, putting Louisville on the board 5-1.

The Cardinals made it a closer game when No. 14 Kyle Miller scored with 30 seconds left in the period. Then, 17 seconds later, Barr answered again for the Norse scoring a hat-trick (three goals in one game). The second period came to a close with the Norse leading the Cards 6-2.

The final period included huge increases of scoring on both sides. Swan started the rally by scoring another goal for the Cards, but not long after that Barr added another goal for NKU making the score 7-3.

No. 5 Ben Coutermarsh added a Norse goal with 11:18 left in the third period.

Two more goals came from the Cardinals as Swan and Miller scored, but it was too little too late for U of L.

Barr added two more goals, with the final goal coming at three minutes left in the game. When the buzzer sounded, NKU was on the winning end 10-5.

NKU Assistant Coach Jim Mitchell was somewhat critical, but overall satisfied with the outcome of the game against Louisville. “We did make some mistakes which they (Louisville) capitalized on, but we really played a systems game out there and overall executed very well tonight,” he said.

So far, the hockey club is 11-5 in its season. Next up for the Norse will be a match up against Denison University, Dec. 1 at 10 p.m. at Northern Kentucky Ice Center.