Latino Student Affairs to host multicultural women’s advocate

Latino Student Affairs is mixing up its monthly Cultura Latina Social with a guest speaker. Nancy Tufts, the multicultural advocate at the Women’s Crisis Center, will be raises awareness to the needs of immigrants in regards to domestic violence and sexual assault.

“You have the social part, but you also take something with you. Something that will be culturally, academically, socially good,” said Leo Calderon, director of Latino Student Affairs.

“I think it’s important to know the statistics because when we get in a situation like that, we think that we’re alone,” Tufts said.

The Women’s Crisis Center collaboration with Northern Kentucky University is important to Tufts. “One in three women is a victim of domestic violence and/or sexual assault in their lifetime and a lot of that does happen during the years that they’re in college,” she said.

Tuffs will also discuss domestic violence and sexual assault in the Latino community. “The only way to heal the cultural problems is to find someone who mirrors that community, and to say it’s OK to talk about it,” Calderon said.

Tufts agreed and said, “There’s a lot of rights unfortunately that they (victims of abuse) don’t know about right now.”

The Cultura Latina Social, featuring Tufts, will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 17 in University Center 303