Student supports right to choose

I am an active member of NKU Students for Choice. I was disappointed and appalled by the letter “Pro-life not same as anti-woman” in the Oct. 25 issue.

Marissa Caldwell wrote, “Our group is involved with pregnancy centers such as New Hope, CareNet, Pregnancy Center East and others” and that they “are there for these mothers no matter what course of action they decide.” At first glance I find it admirable that the goal of these organizations is to reduce the number of abortions.

However, they insist on doing so through the manipulation of vulnerable women, rather than increased access to contraception and emergency contraception that could reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.

CareNet pregnancy services is a faith-based group providing biased anti-abortion counseling as well as false information regarding contraception and abortion.

The Web site falsely refers to emergency contraception-which prevents ovulation, fertilization and implantation from taking place-as “an early abortion” a statement that misleads women. Such information is not supported by fact, but is presented solely to deceive and persuade.

Despite attempts to reassure us, I’m not comforted to hear that once these centers supply women with the inaccurate health and medical information they are kind enough to offer these women diapers and baby wipes.

As a member of NKU Students for Choice, I support offering accurate health and medical information. NKU Students for Choice stands behind centers that provide genuine services, do not promote one choice over another, and allow the woman to make the best decision for herself and her family.

We are involved with Planned Parenthood and other organizations that provide a full range of free and low-cost services, including contraception, screening for sexually transmitted diseases, and extensive prenatal care.

For mothers, sisters, friends and women everywhere, NKU Students for Choice stands for women and will never stand for the endangerment of them.

Tanya Richardson senior psychology