Cross country teams rank best in NKU history

Northern Kentucky University Men’s Cross Country Team traveled to Kenosha, Wis., Nov. 4 for the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Region Cross Country Championships.

For many teams, it was the end of the 2006 cross country season, but that was not the case for the Norse as it finished fourth for the first time since 1979. They also qualified for the NCAA Division II Nationals in Pensacola, Fla.

“There have been many highs and lows in my coaching career, and this is definitely one of my most proud moments as a coach,” Coach Steve Kruse said. “What our team did this past weekend is a tribute to the hard work, trust and belief the team has in one another.”

NKU placed four runners in the top 28 of the 10-kilometer event. Sophomore Zack Koehler placed 17th with the best finish for the Norse. He finished a second ahead of sophomore Matt Shoulta. They finished with a time of 33:01 and 33:02 respectively.

Rounding out the final three spots for the Norse were juniors Brad Bullock, Keith Knapp and Adam Stoppleworth.

NKU will leave Nov. 15 for Pensacola and will run Nov. 18.

The women’s cross country team placed eighth in the regional which is the best in Lady Norse history. Junior Julianne Hoekzema led the Norse with a 22nd-place finish with a time of 22:51. Junior Rose Jepkirui posted a 23rd-place finish in 22:52.