Women’s soccer loses first-round heartbreaker

In 48-degree weather, the first round of the 2006 Greater Lakes Valley Conference tournament made its way to Key Stadium where the Indianapolis Greyhounds knocked off Northern Kentucky University in a penalty shoot out to advance to the next round of the GLVC Tournament.

With a 2-1 win earlier this year by the Greyhounds, NKU knew from the kickoff that this first round match up would be a high powered battle for the entire 90 minutes. What either team didn’t know is that 90 minutes wouldn’t be enough to set a winner in this first round match up.

In a must win or go home setting, NKU’s best chance to find the back of the net came at the closing seconds of the first half. Freshman Brandi Doss busted loose from the defense and went one-on-one with Greyhound goalie Abby Tracy, but was unable to break the scoreless tie due to work by Tracy. NKU’s failed opportunity took them into half time, tied 0-0.

The second half seemed to sway with the Greyhounds with an onslaught of rips past the Norse defense onto goal. The numerous shots on goal were all successfully saved by sophomore Kelly Bare pushing this intense battle into overtime.

Not many chances came about in the first overtime until minute 96 when junior Jayme Light broke the Greyhound defense for another Norse breakaway, but was shut down quickly by Tracy, once again. With the failed chance at taking the first lead of the game, the Norse headed into the second overtime, scoreless.

The second overtime played out with slim chances of a late minute miracle until a Greyhound corner kick arose. All chances to take the lead and put the Greyhounds in the driver’s seat were immediately shut down by the Norse defense forcing the most exciting event in all of soccer, a penalty shoot out.

With NKU’s season on the line, tension grew as Light stepped into the penalty area knowing UINDY just buried their first penalty shot past Bare. Lights attempt was deflected by Tracy and put the Greyhounds up 1-0. The miss by Light was all the Greyhounds needed to seal the deal and end the season for the Norse. The Greyhounds converted all five penalty shots and won the first round match 0-0, 5-4 in penalty shootout.

With the loss, NKU ends its season at 13-6, and with the win UINDY improves its record to 16-4. The Greyhounds will head to Quincy, Ill. for the semi-final match against the top-seeded Hawks in a 7:30 p.m. match on Oct. 27.

Looking back on the season, Light tallied a team leading 13 goals and also racked up 6 assist with a team high 32 points. Freshman Ashley Warndorf, junior Jeanna Goettelman and senior Amy Law tied the team lead with 8 assists. Bare led the way in goalie with a team high 44 saves and a .772 save percentage.

With all of the youth returning for the Norse, NKU could easily make a strong run at the GLVC Tournament with high intensions of bringing home another championship in 2007.