Organization hosts open-mic night for a cause

This year, Friday the 13th isn’t scary at all. In fact, it’s humorous.

Northern Right To Life will be hosting a “Norse Nightmare Comedy and Open-Mic Night” from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Oct. 13th in the University Center Ballroom. Admission is $5.

Sophomore Marissa Caldwell, the public relations officer for the sponsoring organization, has been involved with the organization since May. “Basically, what we want to do is to educate people about abortion and help the women in the situation,” she said.

The event will begin with comedic performances by Kathy Halloran and Joe Sorrell at 8 p.m. Sorrell is featured on www.rooftopcomedy.com and Halloran has performed at The Funny Bone several times, with good reviews, Caldwell said.

Students with the inclination can perform a comedy routine during open-mic after Sorrell and Halloran’s show. However, Caldwell said Right to Life isn’t looking for a controversy. “We would like to keep it about comedy, so bring your best jokes,” she said. “We don’t want to start any debates.”

The night will conclude with a “Best Dressed” contest for students who show up to the event in costume. “The comedians vote on who they think has the best costume, and there will be a prize, but that hasn’t been established yet,” Caldwell said.

The proceeds from the event will go to CareNet Pregnancy Services, which gives out free pregnancy tests, advises women on their options and gives out free diapers. “It’s a great cause,” Caldwell said. This is the first year for the event. “We’re really excited about it, and if it goes well, we will hopefully have more in the future,” Caldwell said.