Magazine recognizes program

Though Northern Kentucky University just opened up entrepreneurship as a major this semester, its already getting national recognition for it.

Entrepreneur Magazine ranked NKU 23rd in the nation for its entrepreneurship program among Division 1 schools such as University of Dayton, Xavier University, Syracuse University and University of Arizona.

The magazine, which hit news stands Sept. 26, has been ranking schools for their entrepreneurship programs for the past four years. The Princeton Review, which surveyed more than 700 undergraduate schools, conducted the recent issue survey of business schools about their offerings in entrepreneurship.

According to Entrepreneur Magazine, the schools that ranked high demonstrated a commitment to entrepreneurship, both inside and outside the classroom, had faculty, students and alumni activities involved, and are successful in entrepreneurial endeavors.

“This is a wonderful accomplishment for us,” said Brandy Baily, marketing coordinator for NKU’s entrepreneurship program. “We have a wonderful academic program and I think we are worthy for such an academic recognition.”

NKU started its entrepreneurship program in 1999, with the help of Fifth Third Bank. However, at that time it was only offered as a minor. Now NKU is the only university in Kentucky that offers it as a major. Entrepreneurship is also offered as a minor, post-baccalaureate certificate and a Master’s of Business Administration specialization.

Senior John First sees the entrepreneurship program as an opportunity to help him start his own business once he graduates college. “For the longest time I’ve wanted to open my own business, and I saw this program as the perfect opportunity.”

The entrepreneurship program is involved with local businesses and high schools. NKU students can build networks and help out high school students by teaching topics in entrepreneurship.