Hot Seat: Dan Impellizzeri

Dan Impellizzeri, junior defender on the Northern Kentucky University Soccer Team, graduated from Anderson High School in Cincinnati. He is this week’s guest in the Hot Seat.

Downer: Dan, can you explain in two sentences or fewer what a defender is and does on a soccer team? Impellizzeri: Defenders are the backbone of any soccer team. Defense wins games.

Downer: What position did you play in high school soccer? Impellizzeri: Because of my speed, I played forward all throughout high school.

Downer: Dan, you lettered in two other sports, basketball and track, in high school. What made you stick with soccer? Impellizzeri: Soccer was the only sport that I was getting college recognition with and I knew I wanted to continue athletics in college.

Downer: As a defender, what kind of different skills do you need as opposed to a midfielder? Impellizzeri: You need to be good in the air and have good recovery speed.

Downer: On an average game, how many shot attempts do you get? Impellizzeri: As a defender, it’s tough but I get around two shots a game.

Downer: Dan, how do you think this game of soccer will help you in your life’s ambitions? Impellizzeri: As with any collegiate sport, you learn how to manage your time wisely, you become very disciplined and learn how to handle diversity. Downer: What do you think of Coach Bas? Impellizzeri: I’ve known Coach Bas since high school so I think he is a great guy. He has helped me immensely with my soccer career. Downer: What is the one thing you dread about the daily practices? Impellizzeri: Making sure everyone is on time and wearing the same practice gear. Personally, I like practicing.

Downer: Dan, who would you say is the toughest team in the GLVC this year? Impellizzeri: Any team we lose to. No, I would have to say Parkside.

Downer: What do you think about NKU’s chances to win the GLVC? Impellizzeri: One of our team goals is to make it to the championship game. I know if we make it there we’ll have a pretty good chance of winning it.

Downer: How do you psyche yourself up for a game? Impellizzeri: I tell myself that this could be my last game so I better play like it is.