Norse volleyball player ties record kills

Sept. 14 was history in the making for Norse’s volleyball player Liz Holmes as she collected her 1,000th career kill during the third game of the season home opener at Regent’s Hall. The junior middle hitter is the 11th player in Norse history with 1,000 career kills. Overall, she accumulated 15 kills, with a .500 hitting percentage, two serving aces and eight digs.

Northern Kentucky University dominated over National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Georgetown Ky., who was ranked 16th in the NAIA poll. A 30-26, 30-24, 30-21 victory put its record at 6-7 and Georgetown’s record at 8-4. It seemed as if the Tigers were not at their physical and mental best having an accumulated 22 errors and only a .083 hitting percentage, whereas the Norse had 20 errors and a .258 hitting percentage. Some of the Tiger’s players, such as Cassie Moore, had 10 kills with a .304 hitting percentage, and Erica Janszen accumulated two serving aces, four attacks, but a .058 hitting percentage.

NKU’s victory was a team effort, and the others who contributed were junior outside hitter Tristen Dye, who put up 13 kills with a .393 hitting percentage and six digs, freshman Andrea Price, who had two serving aces, and senior Andrea Lanham, who had one serving ace.

The win Sept. 14 was huge for the Norse, and the next three out of four games are important because they’re conference play.

The next home game is Sept. 22, versus Indianapolis at 7 p.m.