Students sorry for destruction

NKU professor Dr. Sally Jacobsen enlisted several of her students to help her dismantle the anti-abortion “Cemetery of Innocents,” a display that she has said infuriated her, on April 12.

Now, as part of their diversion programs, several of the involved students have written letters to express their regret over their actions and the consequences of those actions.

To the faculty, students and administration of Northern Kentucky University,

Last spring, we all witnessed the erection of a rather prominent display for the anti-abortion argument.

Hundreds of white crosses were positioned side by side in the center of campus that represented the children who have been killed by abortions. This display also included was an enormous sign with the words “Cemetery of the Innocent.”

The display was put up to create remorse and pain in those who passed by for the fetuses lost because of abortion.

As I passed by, I not only felt remorse and sorrow for the unborn, but pain and sympathy for the mothers who, for whatever reason, felt as though they had no other choice but to use this practice. I also felt that my own forgiving religion appeared to be persecuting these women instead of offering refuge, and that angered me. Surprisingly, I discovered I was not alone in my disapproval.

Reacting impulsively, my professor, a few fellow students and I took it upon ourselves to dismantle the disturbing display. We felt as though we had a right to make a statement by removing one. We were quickly corrected about our thinking when we saw what an uproar our demolition had caused.

Regarding the events of this past spring, I am regretful and sorry for any discomforting emotions my actions aroused.

I would like to apologize for abusing my right to protest. For those who were offended by my actions, I am sorry. To the group that built the display, I do admire you for your convictions and I apologize for taking down what you worked so hard to construct.

Having heard my sincerest regrets on the event, I simply ask that you remember one thing. Our religious views and salvation are not tools to condemn and turn our backs, but are tools to help love and lead by our own understanding and forgiveness.

My deepest apologies, Michelle Lynn Cruey

Dear Northern Kentucky University, I just wanted to take a moment to apologize to those I hurt. I was involved in the anti-abortion cross issue in April and I just wanted to let everyone know that I am truly sorry that my actions caused pain and infringement of rights. I had been under the impression that I was just expressing my rights and now I see how wrong I was. I hope you can accept these few words as some comfort and hopefully accept my apology.

Stephanie Horton

To Northern Kentucky University students and faculty,

My name is Heather Nelson. If you don’t know me, I am one of the students who was involved in the demonstration against the anti-abortion crosses that were displayed at las semester. I was asked to write this letter to apologize to those who were hurt by our demonstration.

My intentions were not to hurt anyone, or people’s feelings and opinions. I understand that abortion is a very sensitive subject that affects many people.

I personally felt that having crosses on a public campus that represented aborted fetuses was not appropriate. I thought that I was demonstrating my first amendment right to protest against these crosses. I was reassured by my professor, and other NKU faculty, that we were demonstrating this right by taking down the crosses.

I again apologize to those who were offended or hurt by my actions.

Sincerely, Heather Nelson