President Bush to visit NKU

President George W. Bush is scheduled to speak at Northern Kentucky University in Regents Hall May 19.

According to Chris Cole, NKU’s director of communications, the university “made a formal request to the White House to have President Bush visit campus and speak about his American Competitiveness Initiative.”

This initiative, according to U.S. Department of Education, is part of Bush’s 2006 education agenda to improve innovation and education through enhancement in mathematics and science education, foreign language studies, and high schools in general.

In a letter on The White House Web site written February, 2006, the president states that the initiative “commits $5.9 billion in FY 2007 to increase investments in research and development, strengthen education, and encourage entrepreneurship.”

The details of the event are still in the works, and “event logistics and details will be coordinated in conjunction with the White House and Secret Service,” Cole said. Until the details are worked out, it is not clear exactly who will be attending the event, but it is anticipated that the White House will be direct ticketing.

Following the event, Bush is scheduled to be at the Hilton hotel in Florence to attend a joint fund-raiser for Rep. Geoff Davis and the Republican Party, according to a report in the Kentucky Post.

According to an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer, a U.S. president has not come to Northern Kentucky specifically for an event since 1968, when President Johnson came to Crestview Hills to speak at the dedication of Thomas Moore College.

Blair Jones, spokesman for the White House media office, said no formal details could be given at this time because the president’s official schedule for that day has not been released to the public.