Chair named in new department

Newly-announced chair of the Teacher Education and School Leadership Department at Northern Kentucky University, Dr. Suzanne Soled, will begin her position July 1.

Excited about her new position, Soled said, “(I am) looking forward to working with my new colleagues. I believe that I will quickly discover that NKU is a great place to work.”

Soled’s new position, according to Dr. Elaine Jarchow, dean of the College of Education and Human Services at NKU, developed through the merging of the Teacher Education and School Leadership departments. According to Jarchow, this union is part of an effort to “reorganize and rename” the departments within the college.

Soled said the college “has grown significantly in a short amount of time. There are new programs, new departments and new faculty. I find that exciting.”

Jarchow said the new setup of the college consists of three individual departments: the teacher education and school leadership department; the kinesiology, health and educational foundations department; and the counseling, human services and social work department.

Each of these departments will have its own chair. Soled’s job as chair is to “be the facilitator of the faculty as they create and implement their new department mission,” Soled said, whose goal is to be an open and supportive leader.

Soled is currently an associate professor in the College of Education, Criminal Justice and Human Services at the University of Cincinnati.

At UC, Soled teaches courses on Assessment and Evaluation, Cognition and Learning, Cognition and Thought, Statistics, and Quantitative Research Synthesis and also works with new doctoral students. She also directed the Honors Scholars Program.