NKU Men’s Golf turn to talented upperclassmen

The Northern Kentucky University men’s golf team is preparing for another successful season. The Norse is hoping to improve on a 12th place finish in last year’s national tournament, in which they led after the first day in the 20-team field.

The team is led by 10th-year Coach Daryl Landrum, who has led his men’s team to back to back D-II, Great Lakes regional Championships. Landrum was also named coach of the year in the Great Lakes Region last year.

Since taking over the program Landrum has fulfilled many accomplishments. He was GLVC coach of the year in 2001 and in the same year he led his squad to a D-II North Regional Championship and a spot in the NCAA II championships. This marked the first time since 1996 NKU had qualified for the nationals. Landrum is the head golf pro at Eagle Creek Country Club, in Crittendon Ky.

“Coach makes it fun for us. It’s just like a family atmosphere,” said senior Mark Krahe.

Krahe, is one of two seniors on the Men’s team along with Jerod Cahill a graduate from St. Henry High School, in Erlanger, Ky.

Cahill’s goals are to make the top five and win nationals. According to Cahill making the top five won’t be easy.

The Norse has added freshman Clinton Kohls, Tyler Atkins and Joe Hays, which will make this already good team even better for this coming season.

“It can change from each tournament on who plays, I’m going to have to step up my game to get to play in the five man rotation,” Cahill said.

The Norse did graduate one very prominent player from last year’s squad, Curtis Phelps who won the regional tournament in May, 2005. That season the Norse defeated runner up Grand Valley State by 18 shots in the Super Region and this year once again Grand Valley State will be one of the Norse’s toughest competition in their region, along with Ferris State.

Senior Mark Krahe says this team is ten shots better than last years team.

In the fall of 2005 the Norse compiled an impressive 38-1 record, with a second place finish in the Great Lakes Fall Regional.

The team has been busy practicing at local courses such as Boone Links, Traditions and Eagle Creek.

There journey for the spring season will begin in Orlando Fla., March 5 through 11, which will be the first official tournament of the season.