Richard Cheese: Sinatra meets strip club

His record label, Surfdog Records, describe his style as a “stiff shot of Vegas nightclub swing and strip club swank.” His songs take staples of modern music back to an age when an 8-track tape wasn’t even conceivable. He’s got a sound that would make Sinatra proud, and who doesn’t love a tiger-striped suit?

The man is Richard Cheese, who recently released his fifth album, “The Sunny Side of the Moon: The Best of Richard Cheese.”

For those who might not be familiar with the name, or backing band Lounge Against the Machine, you still might have experienced them and not even realized it. According to his Web site, www.iloverichardcheese.com, he has played on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” appeared 22 times on “Last Call with Carson Daily” as both co-host and house band, been in a slew of newspaper features including the Los Angeles Times and had his cover of Disturbed’s “Down with the Sickness” featured in the 2004 remake of George Romero’s zombie classic “Dawn of the Dead.”

With his newest album, released Feb. 7, he takes 18 songs back to he era of the Rat Pack. Featuring seven classic Cheese songs and 11 newly recorded tracks, including crooner covers of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, U2 and the Ying Yang Twins, this disc is a blast from top to bottom.

If you haven’t heard these unique interpretations of modern FM standards, go out and find it. Call it a parody, call it an homage, but anyway you call it, it’s pure fun.