Norse Weekly Recap

Coming off an emotional win Jan. 28, the Northern Kentucky University Men’s Basketball team went on the road this week. They found themselves in trouble Feb. 2 and again Feb. 4.

NKU went into Southern Illinois at Edwardsville looking to pull off an upset against the No. 18 ranked Cougars. They found themselves on the short end of the stick, losing 68-59.

The Norse were lead by sophomore transfer Vincent Humphrey, as he was able to score 13 points in only 17 minutes in the loss. Norse guard Billy Finnell was able to chip in with 11 points, while senior Gavin Ludgood added 8 rebounds.

The Norse came together in the second half to get within three, but that was as close as it got before the Cougars went on a 9-0 run to put the game away.

Feb. 4 didn’t get any easier for the Norse as they traveled north to take on Quincy University. The Norse were done in once again by senior forward Jordan Roth as he scored 20 points in Quincy’s victory.

NKU was clinging onto a two-point lead with under three minutes left to play and couldn’t manage to score a single point the rest of the game. Quincy took full advantage of the situation and pulled away with a 62-59 victory.

Juniors Kevin Schappell and Kevin Reinhardt led Norse scorers with 11 and 14 points, respectively.

The Norse women on the other hand kept their amazing win streak alive. They first extended it to 11 games with a win over the SIUE women.

Four Norse players scored in the double-digits, lead by Junior Karyn Creager with 14 points. NKU won the game 72-55.

The Norse extended their streak even further Feb. 4 as hey were able to take down Quincy. Freshman Cassie Brannen scored 15 points off the bench and was the key cog in the victory as she was able to hit some crucial baskets in the final minutes of play. The win extends the streak to 12 and is the longest since the 1999-2000 season.