Fashion spot: What to wear on Valentine’s Day

It’s V-Day time again. Yes, guys, I’m talking about Valentine’s Day. (Instant shudder from all male readers.) Time for chocolates, teddy bears and roses. However, V-Day just isn’t about dolls and candy. It’s also about romance, and that mystical night when all the romance happens. Even though Valentine’s Day is about two weeks away, I bet that most of you are wondering, “What am I going to wear?” (I know I am.).

First of all, dress up. For one day, get glammed up and feel pretty. (Men, too.) Women, the outfit of choice for this V-day is a dress, and men, dress pants and button-up shirt and/or polo.

Ladies, just about any color and style is a go for V-Day night. However, pick the colors and shapes that flatter your body. If you have tummy issues, opt for a dress with an empire waist, thus drawing attention to the upper part of the body, in lieu of other parts you’d like to conceal. If you have a pear shape, or have large breasts, a dress with an A-line would be best, because the flowing A shape of the dress would conceal a larger bottom half and would also balance large breasts. Another type of dress suitable for those blessed with large breasts would be one with a halter neckline, giving support where it’s most needed. As for the ladies with smaller assets, don’t worry because you can choose a strapless dress with a ruched bodice, the folds in the fabric giving the illusion of larger breasts. Banana Republic, Charlotte Russe, Urban Outfitters, Macy’s and Dillards are a few places to find a nice dress.

As to the color of one’s dress, jewel tones like ruby, emerald and sapphire are in this season, and very striking when worn. Blacks and other neutrals like silver and gold are also a good choice and flatter everyone.

Finally, for the ladies, V-Day is an excellent occasion to hone one’s accessorizing skills. Avoid carrying large bags when dressing up, or you’ll look like a hobo. Opt instead for a classic clutch that matches your dress, is a neutral color or matches your shoes. Clutches also come in all shades and fabrics, from satin to leather. Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to freeze. Certain kinds of pantyhose/tights are acceptable. Sophisticated fishnets, found at retailers like Victoria’s Secret and Fredericks of Hollywood, are acceptable, as are tights.

Now for the guys. On Valentine’s Day, the ladies don’t expect you to take them out on the town wearing a three-piece-suit. We just expect you to take us out on the town nicely dressed. Really, it’s not too much to ask, especially when the ladies spent so much time looking hot for you. Pants should preferably be gray dress pants or a very nice pair of jeans with a dark blue wash, and the shirt should coordinate accordingly. If you feel comfortable enough in this kind of outfit, accessorize with a tie or blazer. Stores like Old Navy, Express and The Gap carry the duds required for a successful V-Day date. Associates at any of the aforementioned stores will gladly help you put together a jaw-dropping V-Day ensemble, if not for earning commission, at least for the good of mankind.