Hitting Home:

Student Life is conjuring up Northern Kentucky University spirit once again.

It’s Homecoming Week – and the on-campus organizations have put on a number of activity-loaded events for the students, faculty and staff to partake in.

Kicking off the week, Service on Saturday offered students, faculty, staff and alumni a chance to serve several local organizations Jan. 21.

Later that same day, the annual Norse Day at Newport on the Levee gave people in the community a chance to gather and enjoy appearances from NKU’s new mascot, the dance team as well as athletic teams. Local vendors offered discounts to people affiliated with NKU.

Beginning the week-long evening activities, the APB Homegrown Talent Show showcased student talent Jan. 23 in the Otto Budig Theater. Dance team Ebony Fire snagged first place; vocalist Annie Donellon took second place; and salsa duo Kelli Shultz and Angelo Culvert finished third.

Students also got the chance to show their improvisation skills during the APB-sponsored Free Style Battle in the University Center game room. Hailing from the University of Cincinnati, Jason Waller took home the battle’s bread.

To mark the half-way point of homecoming week, Dean Kent Kelso was set to present the history of the NKU with “Founding of a late 20th century university” at 11 a.m., Jan. 25 in the Otto Budig Theater. According to the Norse News Network, the historical presentation has been cancelled.

Later that day, the mini-Fresh Fusion of the spring semester will be in the UC lobby. The Norse Festival will be open to all departments and the bookstore will offer NKU gear for discounted prices. This event will be from noon to 4 p.m., Jan. 25 in the University Center.

To end Jan. 25, the pep rally, Yell Like Hell, features student organizations competing in the Albright Health Center beginning at 8 p.m. The organizations were required to make up a 30-second chant or cheer to support the men’s basketball team.

New to this year’s homecoming lineup is the White and Gold Gala. This is a formal party to not only crown the prince, princess, duchess and dutch candidates, but to also offer a night of fun to students. This party will be at the Madison Hotel in Covington Jan. 26. Tickets are on sale now and are $5 per person. Winners of Yell Like Yell will also be announced during the gala.

Closing the school-week activities will be a program organized by the Alumni Programs. The annual Alumni Chili Cook-off will be starting at 4 p.m. Jan. 27 in the Albright Health Center. Alumni will bring in a homemade pot of chili to compete for various prizes. Students will taste them and vote on which pot they deem the best.

Lastly, students will find out who the 2006 Homecoming King and Queen during the men’s basketball weekend game against Bellarmine. Tip-off will begin at 7:45 p.m. Jan. 28 in Regents Hall.