Resolutions: Not for everyone

The beginning of January is the time of the year to ease up on the booze, step up to the scale, assess the damage of the 2005 Holiday season and do your best to keep up with those New Year’s resolutions.

Making promises and pledges for the new year dates back to the ancient Babylonians who celebrated the New Year with 11 days of partying. Four thousand years later, the resolution-making tradition continues at Northern Kentucky University as many vow to lose weight, get organized or find time to visit with family.

According to www.realscienceofsuccess.com, only 15 percent of resolutions will be kept.

That statistic makes sense for Marissa Caldwell, an undeclared freshman.

“I haven’t been able to keep a New Year’s resolution in 19 years,” Caldwell said. “I keep it about three months and it’s done.”

Caldwell said that she found the best way to keep a resolution was to make it vague.

“I don’t make my resolutions specific anymore. This year I’m just going to make a resolution to better myself,” she said.

For other NKU students, New Years resolutions focus on learning from past years and relationships.

“I’m going to be more cautious around girls this year,” Jason Ping, a sophomore athletic training major, said. “Girls suck,” he added.

While Ping struggled with his relationship resolutions, he offered advice to the many who make weight and fitness resolutions. He said to start small with workouts that aren’t too intense and to have a workout partner.

Most importantly, Ping said that the key to keeping a fitness resolution is have a motivation and purpose and to keep that goal in mind.

Anthony Kunkel, a freshman construction management major, agreed.

“You have to stick to it (resolutions) and care about it,” said Kunkel, who suggested that NKU students spend their money wisely in the new year.

“Be frugal,” he said. “College is expensive!”