How do I love thee?

May it please the court of public opinion, let me first state that I retract nothing from my previous letter. However, it has been relayed to me that some would like to see me dismissed from the university because they misinterpreted my use of Jesus’ words in Luke 17:1-2 as a call to violence against homosexuals. It was not. Considering my choice to attend a public university, I should have anticipated the “liberal thought police” to be on patrol, squelching any opinion that differs from their own. But isn’t a public university, located in the United States of America, the MOST correct setting to have unedited dialogue without fear of reprisal? If it had been “coming out to take the Lord’s name in vain day”, and I had declared it sin, would reaction have been the same? But I digress, my letter was intended as a “heads up” to those who promote sin through misrepresenting God, and to warn them through Jesus’ own words, the lens through which they may be cast on judgement day. Now, since others inferred beliefs upon me through their own biblical ignorance, inability to read for understanding, or both, please permit me to respond. The moral relativism prevalent in the world today is a direction, or lack thereof, which encourages individual citizens to define, for themselves, right and wrong. The cost of which is a loss of moral absolutes. This does NOT help foster character and integrity within society. Fornication, adultery, drunkeness, and love of money are just a few of the valued behaviors we bestow upon our youth today. People are lost in a wilderness of immediate gratification. Between the media, music, friends, and even family, young men and women are expertly trained in feeding hungers of the flesh. But what of the soul and the norishment it requires? Of the two, which contributes most to one’s lot of life, liberty, and happiness? I propose it is the soul. If we are products of our environment, and that environment produces materialistic, sexually depraved addicts, said environment must change. For those seeking internal change and an alternate view to the one offered by the morally bankrupt, I humbly propose the Bible. The aforementioned “dogma” of moral relativism has had an adverse affect on me, and those I love. Rather than continue in silence, I choose to offer an alternate “established opinion” to those like me. Sinners. That opinion is greatest influenced by God, Whom I agree makes no mistakes, and in His infinite wisdom, granted me freewill: freewill in choosing obidience to His word, or that of this world. What glory would there be for God if all who followed Him were preprogrammed to do so? Contrary to the self proclaimed Christian who misinterpreted several Mosaic laws, and claimed them “laws of Christianity”, I find only two at work. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind”, and “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Mat 22:37’39). Notice which one Jesus spoke first. However, for those who cited the second, how DOES one love his neighbor? Through justifying his wicked behavior? Let me now state, unequivocally, that ” I am not ashamed of the gospel” (Ro 1:16). I do not support or condone violence of any sort, against anyone, at anytime: except to preserve self and family. I am an American. I am a sinner. I love my neighbor, and in doing so, rebuke him “frankly” (Lev 19:17). Further, as opposed to leaving him wallow in a puddle of “what the” heck, I suggest that he arm himself with the “sword of the Spirit”, thus possessing the ultimate weapon in battling “the father of lies” (Eph 6:17, Jn 8:44). Finally I say, “Pick up your mat and walk” out of the darkness of sin, whereby, through God’s strength, His grace manifested in Jesus, and honest fellowship with thy neighbor, you CAN experience victory (Jn 5:8). To God be the glory! Jay Vinson, junior, radiologic technology, (513) 328-7081