Every sin ‘equal’ in God’s eyes

I’ve grown really weary the past month or so listening to people attack the integrity and character of Jay Vinson.

I’ve never met the man but I have a great respect for the ideas that he put forth in his letter. I was equally disgusted that Tuesday morning when my wife and I were walking to class I read a message on the ground that read, “The only Bush I trust is my Girlfriend’s.”

As I continued to walk, my disgust turned to laughter as someone wrote on the ground, “We don’t want your accetance, just your tolerance.” Yes, this bright young college student forgot to put the letter ‘P’ in the word “acceptance.”

Of course, we saw all the other messages asking the general public to bow down and weep over the hardships that these poor homosexuals face in their everyday life. One would think that if their lives are truly a ‘living hell’ and it is a constant struggle day in and day out, then maybe God is not blessing them after all. If God truly blesses homosexuals, then why are their lives so terrible? Antoine Smith wrote last week that he is tired of people using the Bible to hurt people or draw division amongst them. I myself am tired of people changing what the Bible says whenever it suits them and calling it “interpretation.” The Bible condemns homosexuality very blatantly in both the Old and New Testaments. It is God condemning homosexuals through Bible. It is God’s judgment. His judgments are recorded in the Bible. It is up to us to live our lives based on his judgments, instructions, love and grace. It is not me doing the judging. It is God.

I also want to make it clear that I do not believe that all gay people are going to hell. Homosexuality is a sin like any other sin. Gossip, theft, lying, murder and adultery are all sins, as well. Every sin is equal in the eyes of the Lord and every sin is also forgivable.

The people that I am upset at are the punks who felt it was necessary to write vulgar and offensive messages on the ground for everyone to read; they are the true troublemakers on campus.

Joshua Grooms

Senior

Social Studies Major