The Bible used to ‘draw division’

I am writing to rescue the Bible from being used to promote different ideas of thought and beliefs. I am no expert, but John 3:16-17 states, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”

These scriptures are for people of all races, all backgrounds, all homosexuals, all heterosexuals, all the short people, all the tall people-I think you get the point.

The key words are, “whoever believes.” It’s extremely frustrating to read how people misinterpret God and use the Bible to promote their own ideas and agendas.

According to Romans Chapter 14, the God I believe in has given me the freedom to choose what kind of food, what day and what beliefs I choose to hold sacred unto the Lord.

“Therefore let us stop passing judgement on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way,” Romans 14:13.

With that being said, “Let us make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification,” Romans 14:19.

We have to understand that we are all different and have different life experiences.

I firmly believe that is why we need to embrace the things mentioned throughout this message and keep in mind that Romans 14:22 pleads, “…whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.”

The message is simple: Stop using the Bible to hurt or draw division amongst people.

Antoine Smith

Business Major