New athletics logo introduced

The dragon has been banished. Northern Kentucky University has changed the athletics logo after 12 years of sporting the dragon and Viking ship. “There’s always been a question about the connection with the dragon,” said Kurt Moeller, NKU associate athletic director.

There are several reasons that NKU made the decision to change the logo, among them that the old logo was “unique, but dated,” according to Strategic Marketing Affiliates. The company also felt that the old logo “lacks ‘pop’ that other marks have in the industry.”

Jane Meier, NKU athletic director, feels like the new logo has met that goal. “When you look at the new logo, you can definitely identify that the logo projects what the Norse is,” Meier said. “The logo was very well received by the students and I believe that was the selling point.”

Two men on the Norse basketball team agree with her. Junior secondary education major Kevin Schappell was ready for the change. “I like it; it’s something new,” he said. “I didn’t much like the old one. I didn’t really know (about) the dragon.” Senior business management major Adrian Wilkinson was also in favor of the change. “It looks a lot more intimidating,” he said. “It will also look a lot better on uniforms.”

There are only a couple of places carrying the new logo so far; the NKU bookstore, and the off-campus bookstore, Campus Book and Supply.

Michelle Jones, the NKU bookstore merchandise coordinator said that she’s been asked if the bookstore will be carrying hats anytime soon. “Hopefully before the basketball season starts we’ll have the hats,” she said. “We’ll be carrying little plush basketballs with the new logos, too.”

The entire process for creating the new logo took more than a year. The idea was put before the athletics staff, Athletics Council, NKU President James Votruba’s Executive Team, student leaders, the Board of Regents and more. NKU spent $5,000 for the new design, which Moeller said is a good rate. “(University of Cincinnati) spent $35,000 to redesign their logo,” Moeller said. “We definitely got our money’s worth, compared to other institutions.”

In addition to the new logo, NKU will also be unveiling the new mascot on Oct. 24 at Meet the Norse Night.