Hurricane relief effort under way

Northern Kentucky University will be working in collaboration with six other local colleges in order to collect funds for the relief of the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The NKU departments of Art, Music and Theater will host a Concert of Hope to help with fundraising for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

The concert begins at 11:50 a.m., Sept. 12 on the plaza between the Steely Library and Landrum Hall.

The 50-minute concert will feature NKU Chorale, the NKU Chamber Choir, the Vocal Jazz group, the Student Jazz Combo and the NKU Musical Theatre Tour Troupe.

Under the direction of Dean of Students Kent Kelso, various student organizations will also provide a day of activities, food and fundraising events to immediately follow the concert.

All faculty and students are greatly encouraged to attend by administration members.

Though classes will not be canceled, Provost Gail Wells said, “If the inclusion of this event is appropriate for the content of a course held at noon on Monday, Sept. 12, the faculty member may choose to make attendance at the noon event a class assignment. If it is not disruptive of the class, faculty members are encouraged to permit attendance of those students who are involved in the performances or who express an interest in participating in the event.”

Receptacles for financial donations will also be available for students to donate cash to help with the Red Cross’s relief efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.

While Congressman Geoff Davis was visiting campus on Sept. 2, he spoke at length on the devastation in the effected states. “(Hurricane Katrina) is probably the largest disaster to ever befall the United States as far as scope,” Davis said. “It’s a disaster of biblical proportion.”

Davis opened the floor to questions from students.

One student asked Davis why the government response to the hurricane wasn’t quicker, and commented that the response to the tsunami seemed more urgent.

“The sense of urgency is far greater than that of the tsunami,” Davis said. “(New Orleans) was actually declared a disaster area before the storm even hit.”

NKU President James Votruba also commented on the relief effort.

“The day is gone, I think, when we can distance ourselves and think that it won’t impact us,” he said.

“We grieve for the lives lost and the people suffering because of this catastrophic force of nature, and offer our sympathy to those impacted directly or indirectly by this tragedy,” Votruba said in an email.

The six colleges that NKU is working in collaboration with are: Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, Thomas More College, of Mount St. Joseph, Gateway Technical and Community College, and Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.