Local bands rock for charity

Setting the Scene

After coordinating a long weekend of rockin’ bands at two venues, Northern Kentucky University senior Adam Rosing said he and his crew raised approximately $2,500 for charity, a result of Cincypunk Fest IV. The proceeds went to the Mental Health Association of Northern Kentucky and Hamilton County. “I think it could have gotten bigger, but a lot of people snuck in (again) and we had a pretty big guest list,” Rosing said. “But I don’t think $2,500 is anything to complain about.” Besides Rosing, many students supported the charity event on and off the stage this weekend.

Kick Off

The rock show started promptly at 8:30 p.m. on Friday at the historic Southgate House in Newport. Home to three stages – the parlour, the lounge and the ballroom – the venue was packed with concert-goers “hootin’ and hollerin'” for their favorite band. The times of each performance on the said stages were staggered so everyone could catch a song or two from every band. The parlour, a small, low-lit room on the venue’s third floor, was the niche for local bands featuring NKU students. Ben Franks, NKU senior, enjoyed playing a set there with his power-pop band, Krinj. “It’s the most punk-rock stage (The Southgate House) has, so we were having a blast,” Franks said.