NKU obituary

Margery Thomas Rouse, 84, of Erlanger, died Tuesday March 22, 2005 at 3:20 p.m. in her home.

She was born April 20, 1920, in Erlanger the daughter of Morris and Aillene Thomas of Erlanger.

She was one of the first members of the Department of Literature and Language and founders of Northern Kentucky University. She was a member of the Board of Friends of Steely Library, Lloyd Memorial High School Alumni Hall of Fame, Delta Kappa Gamma and the Christian Women’s Fellowship. The annual award given to outstanding female senior athlete at NKU is named in her honor (the Margery Rouse Athlete of Distinction Award). She was also the first female member of the intercollegiate athletic council at NKU and was given the title ‘Professor Emeritus’ when she retired in 1984.

She enjoyed gardening, traveling and reading (especially books written by her former NKU students). Each year she planted a dahlia hybrid, called “Tommy’s Red Dahlia,” that had been developed by her father,

She was also an elder emeritus at Erlanger Christian Church as well as the first female board chairperson of the Disciples of Christ Church in the state of Kentucky.

Surviving are her children Lucy Rouse Riffle and Thomas L. Rouse, both of Erlanger; sister Shirley Axel of Urbana, Ill.; son-in-law Kevin Riffle of Erlanger; and three grandchildren Jessica Rouse, Hillary Rouse and Joshua Riffle.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Clyde L. Rouse, whom she married June 9, 1951, and who died April 17, 1991.

Visitation was held Saturday, March 26 from 9:30 to 11 a.m. with services following at the Erlanger Christian Church.

Expressions of sympathy may be shown through contributions to Friends of Steely Library, Northern Kentucky University Women’s Athletics, Erlanger Christian Church or Lloyd Memorial Alumni Association.