Speaker to honor women’s history

In honor of Women’s History Month, Adrienne Davis, a law professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, will be presenting “Making Waves: The Politics of Periodization and Race in Feminist Theory.”

“Despite increasing attention to individual black women, feminist history dividing women’s history into “waves” has not incorporated enslaved women,” Davis said. “I’ll talk about three case studies of enslaved women and how, taken together, they challenge the dominant waves paradigm, and also, some of the basic assumptions of feminist theory.”

Davis has been a professor of law at UNC since July 2000, where she teaches property, contracts, trusts and estates, and an assortment of upper level legal theory courses including sex equality, law and literature, and slavery.

She is a former editor of the Journal of Legal Education and is a past chair of the Law and Humanities Section of the American Association of Law Schools. Davis is also on the editorial board of the Law and History Review.

The law professor has also won many prestigious awards including a grant from the Ford Foundation to research meanings and representations of Black women and labor.

The lecture will take place on March 3, from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. in the Eva Farris Auditorium and is free and open to the public.