Norse split weekend series

Blue

KENOSHA, Wis. – Tyrone Deacon scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds as Wisconsin-Parkside posted a 70-63 win over Northern Kentucky University on Feb. 17.

Kyle Clark and Brad Ferstenou each had 13 points for Wisconsin-Parkside (8-17 overall, 5-13 Great Lakes Valley Conference), which held off a late NKU rally to snap a six-game losing streak.

In the first half, NKU cut the Ranger lead to four, 24-20, with a basket by Pat Cary. Wisconsin-Parkside responded with an 18-4 run to take a 42-24 lead. The Rangers led by a 46-27 halftime margin by shooting 60.7 percent from the field.

“If we would have had energy in the first half, we could have gone in the locker room down six or down four and then we win this game,” said NKU head coach Dave Bezold.

NKU rallied and pulled within 61-59 with 3:35 left in the game when Derek Smith made one of two free throws. Ferstenou, however, hit a 3-pointer to extend Wisconsin-Parkside’s lead to 64-59 and the Rangers held on despite missing seven consecutive free throws down the stretch.

Mike Kelsey and Courtney Fergerson each scored 11 points to lead NKU, which dropped to 10-13 overall, 6-11 in the GLVC. Pat Cary added 10 points for the Norse.

Kelsey now has 1,484 career points and needs only 12 points to pass Paul Cluxton for ninth place in Norse history.

Mark Hawkins came off the bench to score eight points for NKU, which lost the rebounding battle by a 37-29 margin. The Norse also managed only 16.7 percent shooting behind the three-point line.

“Mark Hawkins and Travis Rasso have gotten better every day because they come to practice and work,” said Bezold.

ROMEOVILLE, Ill. – Mike Kelsey scored 21 of his 27 points in the second half Feb. 19 as Northern Kentucky University defeated Lewis, 72-66, at the Neil Carey Arena.

Pat Cary added 18 points and eight rebounds for NKU, which clinched a berth in the upcoming Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament. The Norse improved to 11-13 overall, 7-11 in the GLVC.

Cary scored 11 points in the first half as NKU forged a 32-32 tie at the break. After Lewis took a 44-43 lead on a jumper by Steve Turner, NKU responded with an 8-0 run to take a 51-44 advantage on a three-pointer by Kelsey with 11:25 left in the game.

NKU led the remainder of the game and converted 13 of its 17 free throws in the second half to pick up the road victory. Lewis closed to within 69-66 with 13 seconds left on a tip-in basket by Branden Hunter, but Cary made one of two free throws to give NKU a 70-66 lead with 12 seconds remaining.

Kelsey then stole a pass and was fouled, and he sealed the win by sinking two free throws with three seconds left. The senior guard made four three-pointers in the game and also had three steals.

Kelsey now ranks eighth in NKU history with 1,511 career points. He moved past both Paul Cluxton and Craig Conley on the Norse all-time scoring list Saturday and needs only 23 points to pass Shawn Scott (1,533 points) for seventh place.

Courtney Fergerson added 10 points for NKU, while teammate Sean Rowland dished out 10 assists. Kevin Reinhardt finished with eight points for the Norse, who shot 57.9 percent from the field in the second half.

NKU held Anthony Scala – who scored 32 points against the Norse earlier this season in Regents Hall during a Lewis victory – to just six points. Turner had 21 points and six rebounds for Lewis, which fell to 5-13 overall, 10-15 in the GLVC. NKU will return home to play Quincy at 7:45 p.m. Feb. 24.

*Article by Sports Information