Lady Norse lose at away games

Blue

KENOSHA, Wis. – Sammy Kromm scored 22 points as Wisconsin-Parkside posted a 76-56 win over Northern Kentucky University Feb. 17 at DeSimone Gymnasium.

Carrie Weir added 15 points and 12 rebounds as the Rangers improved to 19-9 overall, 13-5 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. Mackenzie Heise finished with 14 points for Wisconsin-Parkside, which posted its largest margin of victory ever against NKU.

Wisconsin-Parkside built a 13-point lead early in the first half, but NKU rallied and pulled with 32-31. The Rangers, however, used an 11-0 run to end the half and held a 43-31 advantage at the break.

“I felt like we struggled the whole first half,” said NKU head coach Nancy Winstel. “They are a very good team. They shot the ball off the dribble very well against us.”

In the second half, NKU could not get within 11 points and the Rangers coasted to the win. NKU still leads the all-time series with Wisconsin-Parkside 19-3.

“Good teams battle this time of year, and we just didn’t battle today,” Winstel said.

Karyn Creager led NKU (14-10 overall, 11-6 GLVC) with 15 points. Creager’s school-record consecutive made free-throw streak ended at 27 when she missed the second of two free throws with 6:11 left in the game.

Connie Myers added 12 points and 10 rebounds for the Norse, who were out-rebounded by a 39-25 margin.

ROMEOVILLE, Ill. – Shante Glenn scored 10 of her 17 points late in the second half Feb. 19 as Lewis held off NKU, 69-61, at the Neil Carey Arena.

NKU rallied from a 14-point deficit in the second half to tie the game at 49-49 when Brittany Winner drained a three-point shot with 8:11 remaining. Brittney Diener responded with a three-pointer to give Lewis a 52-49 edge, but Karyn Creager countered by making a three-pointer with 6:48 left to tie the score at 52-52.

Glenn took over at that point, scoring eight of Lewis’ next 10 points to give the Flyers a 62-56 lead. Her driving layup with 3:47 remaining capped the Lewis spurt, and she added another basket with 1:19 left to give Lewis a 67-56 advantage.

Mary Moskal added 15 points and nine rebounds for Lewis, which improved to 16-9 overall, 13-5 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. Glenn, who scored 12 points in the second half, also added five rebounds as the Flyers defeated NKU at home for the second straight season.

Lewis – which bolted out to a 12-0 lead five minutes into the game – shot 46.6 percent from the field and forced NKU into 16 turnovers. Darcee Schmidt added 11 points for Lewis, which is now 5-35 all-time against NKU.

Connie Myers led NKU (14-11 overall, 11-7 GLVC) with 20 points, and she finished 10-for-10 at the free-throw line. Karmen Graham added 11 points for the Norse, who shot just 31.6 percent from the field.

Creager, Elizabeth Burrows and Angela Healy each scored eight points for NKU, which is tied with Indianapolis for fifth place in the GLVC standings. The Norse entered the week ranked ninth in the NCAA II Great Lakes Region poll, and the top eight teams in those ratings will advance to the NCAA Division II Tournament.

NKU will play host to GLVC-leading Quincy (18-7, 15-3 GLVC) at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in Regents Hall. The Norse will close out the regular season at 1 p.m. Feb. 26 with a home game against Missouri-St. Louis.

NKU has clinched a berth in the GLVC Tournament, which begins March 4 at Evansville, Ind.

*Article by Sports Information