Student-organized rock concert raises $2,500

Rich Shivener

Rich Shivener

More than 700 people filled all three floors of the Southgate House Friday, Jan 24, for the third annual Cincypunk Fest.

Adam Rosing, the senior journalism major who coordinated the event, said about 550 paid and the other attendees were band members, on the guest list or snuck in.

“It went better than we could have ever expected,” Rosing said.

The proceeds from the concert went to Lighthouse Youth Services, a family and youth services organization.

Rosing said he expected to raise at most $1,000, but ended up raising $2,500.

We delivered the check… and they were extremely grateful,” he said. “The money is going to their youth crisis center.”

Rosing said the event couldn’t have happened without all the help he received.

“There were a lot of volunteers and the bands were very helpful,” Rosing said. “They knew what they were doing. The Southgate House staff also did a great job with everything.”

The performing bands and the audience members had an overall positive vibe toward the concert.

“There were a ton of freakin’ people there and it was all for a good cause” said Nick Wagner, drummer of Abigail.

James Macfarlane, a history major, said, “It was put together very well and I enjoyed it thoroughly.”

As the night progressed, the Southgate House became full of enthusiastic concertgoers. The bands that played in the ballroom provided the audience with loud and clear music.

The highlight of the night was the band East Arcadia, who came together for a reunion show and headlined the show in the ballroom. The audience showed their supported for East Arcadia’s return to the stage by crowd surfing and singing along with every song.

Those who weren’t into loud music and moshing had a place they could escape. Inside the Southgate House a bar and stage accompanied each room.

Moving East, who played in the parlour, entertained their audience with soft melodic vocals, acoustic guitars and a banjo.

Rosing said he hopes to do another Cincypunk Fest, hopefully this summer.

“We’re not sure yet, but we’re planning on having the same format,” he said, “one night three stages, about 15 bands-all local bands. It’s going to be a charity event again.”

Stuart MacKenzie contributed to this article.