Bridget Jones sequel only fitting for fans of original

Renee Zellweger is back as the title character in the sequel to the 2001 comedy “Bridget Jones’s Diary”, “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.”

Based on the novel by Helen Fielding, the story is set just a few weeks after Jones and her boyfriend Mark Darcy (played by Colin Firth) start their new relationship.

While everything appears to be great, the always uncertain Jones believes that Mark may not care for her as much as he lets on.

Jones starts to notice that she and Darcy do not have much in common when it comes to friends or philosophies. Of course, this leads to many embarrassing encounters with Mark’s business associates, both in the office and on a trip to a ski lodge.

Jones also struggles throughout the film to see if another woman may have stolen her perfect boyfriend.

Jones’s circle of friends doesn’t help the situation either by suggesting schemes for spying on Darcy, which ultimately lead to uncomfortable and awkward predicaments.

Her job is no picnic either, as she is still the object of ridicule in her attempts at serious journalism.

Making matters worse is the reemergence of former fling Daniel Cleaver (played by Hugh Grant) who boasts of his changed ways.

The two are forced to work together, causing old feelings and tension towards each other to surface. During a trip to Thailand with Cleaver, Jones must decide again who she would like to be with, Darcy or Cleaver.

“Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason” is basically a rehash of all the jokes and gags that filled the first movie, including another fight between Darcy and Cleaver.

The plot does have a few surprising twists that keep the story from being both boring and believable.

Zellweger does well to play the part of Jones, except for her horrible attempt at a British accent. Hugh Grant steals the show, having the funniest lines in the movie.

Those who saw and enjoyed the first “Bridget Jones” movie will undoubtedly be entertained by the sequel, but few others will.