Death of Dr. Macel Wheeler

On Saturday, November 20, 2004, Dr. Macel Wheeler of NKU’s History and Geography Department, passed away. Her passing came as a shock to the department and her students.

I had Dr. Wheeler as my advisor for the four years I attended Northern. She was always there to answer questions and offer her support. I became the first member of my immediate family to graduate from college, and I know that through Dr. Wheeler’s endless guidance I was able to receive my degree.

She was a beautiful person and she truly loved her job and her students. She could always be seen around the department and she always lended her support to student activities, regardless of whether it was Geography Day or a Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society event. She helped others without asking for anything in return. She was always there, but never sought any recognition for all the good things she did.

I know that her passing has left a void in the History and Geography Department, and I know those who knew her will greatly miss her.

If you would like to donate to a scholarship fund set up in her name or if you would like to donate money to buy a brick in front of Steely Library in her memory, please contact the History Department at 572-5461.

I’m fortunate to have known Dr. Wheeler, and my thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Rebecca Campbell 2004 NKU Grad.