Happiness not limited by sexual orientation

Dear Editor,

The topic of homosexuality is controversial. Unfortunately, many people have deep-rooted issues concerning their dislike of others simply based upon their sexual orientation.

I hate to break this to everyone, but there is an extremely high number of people on campus with said orientation; many that you may not even realize.

Joel Allen stated last week in his letter that a person is a product of his or her environment. I completely agree with this statement and would like to thank Mr. Allen for making his opinion known in a mature fashion. People are a product of their environment, but that doesn’t mean their sexual orientation is a choice.

An individual is not responsible for his or her life experience/environment. For example, children don’t choose to be raised in an abusive home, it just happens.

For anyone who thinks that homosexuality is purely a choice, ask yourself this one simple question: Why would anyone choose to be discriminated against, persecuted, and not allowed to live his or her life the same as a heterosexual person? I believe it is a shame that homosexuals are not allowed to be married. Why can’t these individuals have an official union and lead a life of marital bliss that is afforded everyone else?

This country is based on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Happiness. Everyone should be afforded the right to be happy as long as it doesn’t infringe upon others. What someone does in their bedroom is his or her own business and no one else’s.

Mr. Allen brought up the Bible and what it says concerning this topic. This is all well and good, but this is why we have separation of church and state.

Now, you may not agree with homosexuality, and that is your right as an American, but just because you feel a certain way, you have no right to tell another that he or she can’t be happy and live his or her life to the fullest.

Patrick Cottingham III