Campus Briefs

Courses offered during winter

Due to student requests, NKU announced that it is offering courses during this year’s winter intercession. This will be the first instance in the university’s history that it has ever opened classes during this time. Students can chose from over 30 courses, which will run from Dec. 20 through Jan. 7.

Students will be allowed to take one three-credit hour course, which will last several hours a day. Both graduate classes and high demand classes will be offered during the intercession. Also, some of the classes will be inventive, new classes, because professors now have a chance to do innovative lessons that require longer class periods.

NKU officials estimate that nearly 450 students (15 per class) will sign up for the winter intercession.

Center recovers missing ad

The Scripps Howard Center for Civic Engagement has found its missing Get Out the Vote for Democracy banner.

After placing an ad in The Northerner, the center received an anonymous call Nov. 5 that tipped the university to search a dorm room.

The center is not sure whether it will file charges.

Chase professor wins grant

A professor from the Salmon P. Chase College of Law won a Fulbright Scholar grant to teach in the Czech Republic in the 2004-05 academic year.

Adam Todd will lecture at Palacky University in Olomouc about American legal methods and comparative law.

Currently Todd is the assistant professor of legal writing and director of academic support at Chase. He has lectured in Warsaw, Poland about American privacy law, and has recently given several lectured about the American legal system.

Besides Todd, roughly 800 other Fulbright Scholars will travel to more than 140 countries during the 2004-05 academic year. As a Fulbright Scholar, Todd’s purpose will be to construct a mutual understanding between the United States and the Czech Republic.