Women triumph over Lewis

Blue

The Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team dismantled Lewis University 5-0 on a cold, wet Saturday afternoon at the Town and Country Sports Complex.

The Norse improved to 12-3 overall and 9-1 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

NKU dominated the game, out-shooting Lewis by an astounding 15-0 margin.

The Norse continued to show why they are still one of the top teams in the conference by shutting down the Lewis attack.

At 16:49 of the first half, Jeanna Goettelman started the scoring assault for the Norse. A corner kick by Amy Martini allowed Goettelman to put the ball past Lewis goalkeeper Courtney Hutt. Goettelman also added an assist.

The Norse had a 14-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Hutt was beaten again at the 32-minute mark as Michelle Kelly scored off a rebound.

Six minutes later, Kelly struck again as she scored off another rebound shot. Kristen Votapek was credited with the assist.

The Norse went into halftime with a 3-0 lead.

“When we went into halftime with the lead, we knew that the game was ours,” said freshman Jayme Light.

The Norse kept up the domination as they continued to pressure Lewis.

“Coach was really pleased with the way we were playing,” said Rogers.

Five minutes into the second half, Light took a cross from Katie Hanck and shot the ball past Hutt to advance the game to 4-0.

At the 59-minute mark, Kristen Votapek made it 5-0 as she followed up a ball that was fumbled by Hutt and shot past the Lewis keeper.

Seniors Robyn Withers and Lauren Piening played their last regular-season home games for the Norse. Both seniors went out in style as Piening recorded her ninth shutout of the season.

Meanwhile Withers recorded a shot on goal and an assist on the goal by Votapek.

“This was a great game for the seniors to leave on,” said sophomore midfielder Shirley Ernst. “They both played great and they will be missed.”

Earlier in the week, NKU was able to hold off Bellarmine University, winning 1-0 on a score by Amy Law.

The Norse finish off their regular season by traveling to Wheeling Jesuit University on Friday. The conference tournament follows starting on Sunday.

NKU is second in the GLVC standings behind Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, the only conference team to defeat the Norse this season.

The Norse made it to the finals of the conference tournament last season before losing to the University of Wisconsin-Parkside.