Homosexuals cannot be denied rights

People say that Americans are more polarized this election year than any before. The democrats are moving further to the left, and the republicans are moving further to the right.

Two other groups are becoming more polarized as well, the bigots and the non-bigots. This polarization emerges from the decisions to be made about gay marriage rights.

In Kentucky, Amendment 1 only recognizes a union between one man and one woman. In Ohio, it’s known as Issue 1. But the worst one of all is Article XII in Cincinnati.

Article XII legally allows discrimination of homosexuals. This means a homosexual can go into a restaurant and not be served. They can be shown only unfavorable neighborhoods by realtors. They can be denied service anywhere, anytime, by anyone.

I don’t live in Cincinnati, and because of things like Article XII I’m sure glad I don’t.

Many argue that the Bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. The Bible is always the trump card. No matter what people are arguing about, someone always brings up the Bible.

The Bible is a book open for interpretation. How many people follow the Bible to its strictest laws? How many people never use the Lord’s name in vain and keep holy the Sabbath day? The fourth commandment says no one shall work on Sundays. Thinking about raking leaves this Sunday? Not if you don’t want to go to hell.

Those opposed to gay marriage say they work toward equal rights, not special rights. How is it a special right to marry someone of the same sex?

As recent as 2000, people of different races were not allowed to marry in Alabama.

Women fought for their rights in the early 20th century, blacks fought for theirs in the middle of the 20th century and now homosexuals need to fight for theirs in this beginning of the 21st century.

Many argue that homosexuality is a choice, but being homosexual is as much of a choice as race or gender.

Others worry that the children of homosexuals will grow up to be homosexual. I’m not straight because my parents are straight, and I’m not male because my father is male, I was born this way.

Hopefully, polls showing large support for gay marriage bans have biased samples of ignorant, uninformed, close-minded individuals. It’s up to younger, intelligent and open-minded people such as college students to set a standard for the up-and-coming generations.

Although it seems likely that both Amendment 1 and Issue 1 will pass, Article XII needs to be repealed by voting yes on Issue 3.

Cincinnatians, do the right thing.

If we allow this hate to pass, what type of hate will we allow in the future?