Campus briefs

Officials, students to voice opinion on NKU state funding

The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education will come to Covington on Sept. 29 to listen to Northern Kentuckians. The meeting, which will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at Holmes High School, is open to the public and is the first of nine sessions the council is administering across the state in effort to help officials determine higher education policies in Kentucky. Community and college leaders will tell the council that more state education money should go to Northern Kentucky University and Gateway Community and Technical College. NKU has been historically under-funded by the state and has been forced to raise tuition more and more each year. Student Government Association suggested that students interested in carpooling should meet in Lot A at 5:45 p.m.

Voter registration deadline approaching for students

Kentucky residents have less than a week left to register to vote in the Nov. 2 general election. Any resident who has not voted before or has moved to a new address must register by Oct. 4 to vote in the upcoming election. People wanting to register should contact their county clerks. Students attending NKU who are unable to get to the polls on Election Day because they live outside of the county of their voter registration may request an application for a paper absentee ballot. These applications must be completed and mailed to the county clerk at least seven days before the election. The clerk then sends paper ballots to the applicants if approved. The clerk must receive the ballot from voters no later than Election Day. Students who do not qualify for a paper absentee ballot may vote an absentee ballot on a voting machine in the county clerk’s office 12 or more days before the election if they will be absent from the county of their voter registration on Election Day.

Dragon Daze winners announced at Levee

Patrons at Newport on the Levee voted Sept. 25-26 for their favorite decorated dragon. The Levee’s Choice Award for the large dragons went to the dragon decorated by Holy Cross School art students for the NKU Foundation. The Levee’s Choice Award for small dragons went to the dragon decorated by Phi Kappa Tau. The NKU Dragon Daze Tour will make its next stop at the Office of Student Life Oct. 25-27, where voting for NKU’s Choice will take place. The NKU Dragon Daze is sponsored by Alumni Programs.