Campus briefs

NKU expands with opening of new Grant County Center

This Wednesday, NKU opened the new Grant County Center which will hold 400 students and 26 classes. This newly renovated facility is equipped with wireless internet, laptop computers, four “smart classrooms” and 13 new computer work stations.

The Grant County Center is located in Williamstown, 40 miles from NKU’s Highland Heights campus. Nearly twice the size of its predecessor,

the center offers associates degrees, academic certificates and a bachelor’s degree.

Workshops offered to attract adult students

NKU will be holding a series of free workshops for students considering returning to college. The series is free and will be held at the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

The workshops are a predecessor for the future classes NKU will be offering at the Airport starting Jan. 2005.

The “Return to Learn” workshops will be held Sept. 16, 23, 30 and Oct. 13, 20, 27. The “Options for Adult Learners” Workshops will take place on Oct. 7 and 25. Both courses are designed to help the adult learner make an informed decision on further education.

NKU to host Underground Railroad conference

NKU’s own Institute for Freedom Studies will host the Borderlands Underground Railroad Conference III Sept.16-18. The conference’s theme is “Telling Our Stories: The National Significance of Local Events and the Underground Railroad Movement.” The conference will explain the effect of events which took place all over the country in relation to the Underground Railroad Movement’s involvement in the abolition of slavery.

NKU openly invited everyone interested in sharing stories of the Underground Railroad with regional and national academic professionals and public leaders.

Thursday evening events begin at 6 p.m. at the Freedom Center with registration and a reception. Keynote speaker Spencer R. Crew, executive director and CEO of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, will speak at 8 p.m. On Friday and Saturday, Sept. 17-18, conference sessions will begin at NKU and will run from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.

Cost to attend the conference is $30, or $10 per day.