One man’s trash is another man’s instrument

Josh Blair

When it comes to rock bands, it’s difficult to determine which instrument is most important. It can be argued that the guitar, bass, drums and vocals are all crucial elements to performing and recording music.

However, the members of Recycled Percussion may favor the chainsaw.

The New Hampshire group, consisting of Justin Spencer, Ethan Holmes, Zach Holmes and Greg Kassapis, make musical instruments out of trash.

They’ve already done the dirty work, rummaging through junkyards for their makeshift musical instruments, to create an original musical sound appropriately called junk rock.

Barrels, ladders, drills, buckets, water tanks, jackhammers, chainsaws, pots and pans are piled on stage and taped together to make their unique instruments.

“It’s going to be quite a show,” said Stephanie McGoldrick, program coordinator for Student Life. “We knew it would be perfect for back to school activities.”

“It helps that we are all drummers, hyper-active and share non-stereotypical philosophies of how a band should work,” said Ethan Holmes on the band’s Web site.

“Overall, I am extremely thankful that we’ve been so embraced by America in recent years and that our performance can transcend any clique, racial boundary, age group or pigeon-hold that may exist,” Ethan Holmes said.

“What we do is for anybody and everybody.”

Recycled Percussion tours the nation delivering high-energy performances at high schools and colleges.

“I’m really excited that they are coming,” said Brad Sayles, a senior history and political science major. “I’ve always wanted to see them. I’ve heard they are really good.”

Recycled Percussion has performed on Late Night with Conan O’Brian and with artists such as Godsmack, LL Cool J and 311. They have also performed during half time for several NBA Playoff games.

The group was voted “Best Major Performing Group” among colleges and “Music Group of the Year” for college bands.

“Recycled Percussion’s blend of beat-box, power tools and intense drumming has elevated them to one of the most sought after performers in the club, college, corporate and international theater scene,” according to the Shelter Management Inc. Web site.

“Recycled Percussion has exploded into the music and theater scene with incredible force.”

The group performs Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. in Norse Commons. The concert is free, courtesy of the Activity Programming Board’s back to school activities.

One hundred people are expected to attend.