Men’s soccer season kicks off

Blue

WILDER, Ky. – Jason Larkin picked a perfect time to score his first collegiate goal Sunday afternoon, and he has teammate Randy Walters to thank for getting him in that position.

Larkin’s goal late in the first overtime period snapped a scoreless tie and gave Northern Kentucky University a 1-0 win over the University of Findlay. The freshman from Oak Hills High School in Cincinnati beat Findlay goalie Dustin Robbins with the winning score at the 97:37 mark after receiving a perfect pass from Walters.

Walters began the winning sequence by getting behind the Findlay defense on the left sideline. He dribbled into the box, spotted Larkin on the right side of the goal and crossed to the freshman in front of the goal.

Larkin finished the play and the game by knocking the ball into the net, giving NKU (1-0-1) its first win of the season.

Senior goalie Nate Madden recorded his second straight shutout for NKU, which outshot Findlay (0-1-1) by a 9-7 margin. The Norse also attempted seven corner kicks and limited the Oilers to just three.

It marked the second straight year NKU defeated Findlay, which advanced to the NCAA Division II Final Four last season. A year ago, the Norse handed the Oilers a 4-2 setback at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex.

The team opened the season Saturday afternoon when they went up against against Saginaw Valley State University and the result was a scoreless tie at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex.

NKU won the battle of shots by a 14-8 margin, but the Norse were unable to find the net against Saginaw Valley State backup goalie Eric Carnes. Carnes, who entered the game 10 minutes into the first half after starter Grant Pierce injured his shoulder, collected four saves.

Nate Madden guarded the NKU net for the entire 110 minutes, picked up four saves and held Saginaw Valley State scoreless. The Norse backfield allowed just two corner kicks the entire afternoon.

NKU, meanwhile, penetrated deep into Saginaw Valley State’s defense several times and finished with seven corner kicks. The Cardinal defense, however, stiffened each time and escaped with the tie.

Lies nearly snapped the scoreless tie in the second half when he headed a ball toward the Saginaw Valley State goal, but the shot hit the crossbar and bounced out of play.

NKU will play host to the John Toebben Classic this weekend at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex. The John Toebben Classic is presented by Provident Bank, and the event is in memory of the late NKU soccer head coach who passed away on April 26, 2003, after a seven-month battle with cancer.

The Norse will play Ashland Friday, and the event will conclude Sunday when NKU takes on Christian Brothers.

*Article by Sports Information