Rock group shows Cincy how to party

Born out of the demise of former Cincinnati bands, such as The Frantic Romantics, and No Arms.No Legs, Death In Graceland have been bringing the attitude back to rock music for little over a year’s time.

With the release of their debut disc, “Come On, Touch Me,” the quintet has managed to pump out seven tracks of uninhibited energy, which epitomizes the band’s evil- sex, drugs, and rock and roll sound, reminiscent to 1970s punk band MC5.

“Dance Floor Disaster” opens the album and is the band’s catchiest song. It serves as a good intro to Death In Graceland’s in your face sound.

For me “Sunsets of the South” serves as the highlight of the disc.

Track five, “Retro Color Clash”, transitions smoothly right into this song, as the bass guitar chugs along.

Soon the guitars begin to rise above the drums, and bass, right as Matthew kicks in with his distorted ramblings throughout the first verse, only to emerge from the muddied ramblings with a dark, soulful scream of, “And then she stops breathing.”

Perfectly fitting, the track is dark, and represents the attitude of Death In Graceland.

Other songs such as “Retro Color Clash”, and “Dragging The Lake” hold their own on the album, showcasing skillful guitars, and powerful drumming, as well as bass. Drive Thru Records fans should be warned: This isn’t the latest “cookie-cutter” pop band being marketed for the punk market.

Harmonies?

No!

Sugar coated refrains that will make your ears bleed?

Definitely not!

Pretty boys in tight clothing?

Forget about it! (Although their hair is pretty stylish, which gives them a rather good look. Not that it matters.)

Bottom Line: Death In Graceland’s “Come On, Touch Me” album has been a breath of fresh air to the music scene in Cincinnati, with its incessant attitude and energy.

The dark, crafty songs presented on this album effectively tell a meaningful story, while remembering one thing…

Hey, it’s OK to rock.