Moeves pitches a gem in Norse win

Tim Downer

The Northern Kentucky University Baseball team entered a four-game series on April 24 and 25 one game ahead of their opponent, Quincy University, for third place in the Great Lakes Valley Conference standings. A good showing in the series, and the Norse put a little breathing room between themselves and their opponents.

The first game of the series began with the Norse sending sophomore pitcher Derrick Moeves to the mound against Quincy’s Brad Stone.

Moeves got out of the first inning with only one Quincy batter reaching base as the result of an error.

NKU’s lead off batter, senior Justin Mundt, reached base as the result of an error by Quincy shortstop Mike Miley. A balk by Stone eventually sent Mundt to second.

After Shaun Erie struck out, designated hitter Keith Jackson was hit by a pitch which put NKU runners on first and second with one out. Center fielder Alex Frank walked to load the bases for the Norse, however Stone ended the inning by striking out Conor McGeehan.

Moeves took care of the Quincy hitters in the second inning, striking out all three batters he faced.

Quincy threatened to score in the third after loading the bases with two outs. Quincy right fielder Kevin Reynolds grounded to Matt Wagers, who took the force out at second base, and the Norse finished the inning unscathed.

The Norse offense finally struck in the third inning following Mundt’s single past a diving Quincy third baseman Brooks Bainter. Erie stepped to the plate and finally executed a sacrifice bunt for NKU as Mundt advanced to second base.

“Our game is short, we need to be able to get bunts down,” NKU coach Todd Asalon said. “Once we were able to finally execute a bunt, things happened for us. Hopefully our guys learned from this, and in the future have the same results.”

Jackson hit a single to right field to score Mundt and put the Norse up 1-0.

After Jackson stole second base, Fraley singled up the middle driving Jackson in, and put the Norse up 2-0.

Moeves rolled throughout the rest of the game, allowing only two Quincy base runners in the final three innings he pitched, with neither of them advancing past second base.

Junior Justin Seiter entered the game in the seventh to pitch for the Norse and retired Quincy 1-2-3, picking up his sixth save of the year in the process.

Moeves’ record improved to 5-3 on the season after giving up two hits and striking out eight Quincy batters in the six innings he pitched.

“Getting the first pitch over today was a big thing,” Moeves said. “Coming off of three day’s rest, I was a little tired.

Beating the team that was directly behind them in the GLVC standings was a big confidence boost for the Norse.

“We’re in third right now, and Quincy was right behind us in fourth, so it was a big win for us,” Moeves said.

“We always want to sweep teams, and you can’t sweep anybody until you win that first one,” Asalon said. “It was big. Moeves did what he was supposed to do; Seiter came in and closed the door on them. So it was a good win, and we feel like we’re playing our best ball.”