Campus briefs

NKU event raises money to fight cancer Through generous contributions and help from hundreds of participants, organizers of the Relay For Life announced the event was successful in raising $7,500 for the American Cancer Society, according to an ACS news release. The overnight event was held at Northern Kentucky University April 16. The relay began with more than 10 cancer survivors leading the first victory lap around a track in the Albright Health Center, followed by 10 teams staying on the track relay-style for 12 hours, according to the news release. Covington Latin received the award for highest fund-raising team with $1,800, and Alpha Delta Gamma won the award for best camp site.

SGA online book exchange operational The Student Government Association book exchange is now open for Northern Kentucky University students, faculty and staff to buy and sell textbooks via the Internet. The book exchange Web site offers auctions set up much like eBay in which visitors can browse through categories to bid on textbooks for upcoming semesters or sell old textbooks from previous courses. Book titles, descriptions and photos are listed with the starting and current bid, along with the closing date and current time left on the auction. To use the book exchange, buyers and sellers must register online with an @nku.edu e-mail address, create a username and consent to abide by the user agreement policy. To access the book exchange, visit nkusga.org and click on the book exchange link at the top of the page.

SGA budget ‘running thin,’ some missing funds accounted for Vice President for Administrative Affairs Joe Myers said April 26 that the balance in the Student Government Association’s budget is still “up in the air,” and that there are not sufficient funds left for any major expenditures. He said the budget is “running thin,” although he could not provide the Senate with an estimated dollar amount. On April 13, he announced that approximately $1,000 or $1,800 was missing from the budget. On April 26, he revealed several expenditures to account for a portion of that amount, including $565 for dinner during the SGA spring retreat and nearly $620 spent on the student rally in Frankfort in February.