Wood wins fifth game as Norse defeat Lewis

Tim Downer

ROMEOVILLE, Ill. – The Northern Kentucky University baseball team took advantage of six Lewis University errors – including four miscues during a six-run seventh inning – and posted an 8-7 victory over the Flyers to complete a doubleheader sweep on Saturday.

NKU entered the seventh inning trailing by a 5-1 score, and Lewis pitcher Greg Moss retired the first two Norse batters of the inning. Conor McGeehan, though, started the decisive rally with a two-out single, and Moss proceeded to hit the next two NKU batters to load the bases.

An error by third baseman Matt Newquist allowed two runs to score, and Justin Mundt then delivered a run-scoring single to make it 5-4. Three additional errors by Lewis in the seventh resulted in three more runs, and NKU held a 7-5 lead when the inning ended.

NKU’s Alex Frank scored an insurance run in the eighth inning following a wild pitch and a throwing error.

Mundt went 3-for-5 with two runs scored for NKU, which improved to 22-18 overall, 15-11 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. The Norse also extended their win streak to five with the road sweep.

In the opener, Jerrod Fraley collected three RBI and Keith Jackson scored a pair of runs as the Norse posted a 5-2 victory. Junior right-hander Rick Wood scattered five hits in seven innings and notched the complete game-victory.

Wood, who struck out four batters, improved to 5-3 with the victory. It was also Wood’s third complete game of the spring.

Fraley’s two-run double in the fifth inning snapped a 2-2 tie and keyed the NKU victory.

In Sunday’s matchup Lewis Jones lined a two-out, run-scoring double to snap a 9-9 tie in the top of the ninth inning as NKU defeated Lewis University, 13-9, in the second game of a doubleheader.

Lewis had scored four times in the bottom of the eighth to tie the game at 9-9, but Jerrod Fraley walked to begin the Norse ninth.

Alex Frank sacrificed Fraley to second base, but Conor McGeehan flied to right field for the second out.

Jones, followed with a double into left center, driving in Fraley to give NKU a 10-9 lead. NKU added three more runs – including a two-run home run by Joe Kendall – in the inning to seal the victory and earn a split of the doubleheader.

Justin Seiter pitched two scoreless innings to pick up the win in relief for NKU. The Norse are in fourth place in the league standings.

In the opener, Matt Petrusek tossed a four-hitter as Lewis posted a 4-1 win over NKU. Petrusek added six strikeouts, and the Flyers capitalized on three NKU errors to score three unearned runs.

* Article by Sports Information