Softball team breaks all-time victory mark

EVANSVILLE, Ind. – Ricki Rothbauer went 3-for-4 and scored a run Saturday, as the Northern Kentucky University softball team won its school-record 37th game with a 3-1 victory over the University of Southern Indiana in the opener of a doubleheader.

Sophomore pitcher Krystal Lewallen improved to 22-1 this season by scattering six hits for the Norse.

Lewallen, who on Friday set the single-season record for victories by an NKU pitcher, finished with seven strikeouts Saturday as the Norse snapped Southern Indiana’s 18-game home win streak.

Megan Reed was 2-for-2 and drove in a run for NKU, which built a 3-0 lead after two innings. Southern Indiana ruined Lewallen’s bid for a shutout in the bottom of the seventh inning with a run.

In the nightcap, NKU upped its overall record to 38-2 with a 2-0 victory. The Norse are now 10-0 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference and hold sole possession of first place in the league standings.

Junior pitcher Emily Breitholle tossed a four-hit shutout to lead NKU in the second game and improved to 10-1 this season.

Stephanie Leimbach was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, while Angie Lindeman and Sara Becker each collected RBI hits for NKU.

It marked the first time since March 23, 2002 that Southern Indiana (20-17 overall, 8-2 GLVC) was swept in a home doubleheader. Breitholle’s shutout also was the first thrown against Southern Indiana at home since April 14, 2001.

Breitholle now has 43 career wins and ranks No. 2 on the NKU all-time victories list. Amy Serraino is NKU’s all-time career leader with 52 victories.

NKU, with 13 straight wins, is ranked No. 8 nationally in the latest NCAA Division II poll. The Norse are also No. 1 in the Great Lakes Region poll.

NKU will play a road doubleheader at the University of Findlay at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

* Article by Sports Information