Diversity issue needs reexamining

Dear Editor,

After reading the “Hixson ticket lacks diversity” letter to the editor (March 31 issue, page 5) I was very upset, to say the least. It amazes me that people can write things in this paper and not know what they are talking about.

I believe that you can look at diversity in two different ways: either as sexual and ethnic, or as different people looking at situations in different ways.

I believe that the Hixson / Iker ticket has both. The Hixson / Iker ticket has leaders in groups of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, Delta Zeta Sorority, Norse Leadership Society, Black United Students, and the Activities Programming Board. Different people coming from different organizations with different points of view: I believe that this is the true meaning of diversity.

If, for some reason, you think that diversity can be shown from the color of your skin or which restroom you go in, I still believe that the Hixson ticket is very diverse. On the Hixson / Iker ticket there are two men and three women, two of which are African-Americans. Plus, Hixson has participated in multiple philanthropies for the Association of African Charities, and has constantly been working to promote a stronger NPHC and IFC relationship as the president of Alpha Tau Omega. It is easy to state that someone is in favor of working for the good of diversity, but Andy Hixson is showing it.

Aaron Stapleton Senior, business management