Teams end basketball seasons in tourney

The NKU men’s and women’s basketball teams ended their respective seasons during spring break.

The men’s team had an early exit in the first round of the GLVC tournament, falling 83-74 to Southern Indiana.

The women’s team was also defeated in the first round of the GLVC tournament, 67-58 by Indianapolis.

However, the Lady Norse were fortunate to recieve a surprise invitation to the NCAA Division II tournament. NKU played hard, but fell 51-49 to a higher-ranked Quincy University team.

NKU trailed 51-49 with two seconds left, when Norse guard Nikki Perkins made a last-second three-point attempt that fell short, giving Quincy the victory and ending the Norse season with a final record of 17-11.

The Lady Norse had another successful season, and next year should be even better.

They will return with their top three scorers: Connie Myers, Sharell Snardon, and Perkins, as well as starting point guard Elizabeth Burrows.

The Lady Norse will also return with freshmen Karmen Graham and Karyn Creager, who both got valuable playing time this season.

This was the first in the last five seasons that the Lady Norse have failed to break the 20-win mark.

However, it is the sixth straight season they have made an appearance in the NCAA Division II tournament.

The men’s team also has a promising team returning to the court next season.

Junior guard Mike Kelsey will return after averaging 16.9 points per game. Junior Steve Purdon, who Head Coach Ken Shields said was one of the most consistent players for the Norse, will also return after averaging 10.7 points per game. The Norse will also welcome back a promising trio of freshmen who saw success.

Kevin Reinhardt, who finished in second place for conference freshman of the year, will return after averaging 8.8 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. Brian Lewin also experienced a solid freshman season, averaging five points per game in 11 starts. Kevin Schappell, who Shields calls the hardest- working player he has coached in 16 years, rounds out the trio and will contribute immensely to the success of next season’s team.

“These players are the most coachable that I’ve had,” Shields said. “They really laid it on the line.”