Campus briefs

SGA proposes book exchange Sen. Michael Vaughan has asked the Student Government Association senate to consider approving an SGA-sponsored online book exchange program that would allow students to cheaply buy and sell textbooks. Students could access the program through the SGA Web site and establish an account to auction off and/or sell textbooks to other NKU students, according to Vaughan. He would like to charge students $1 for each textbook they sell. He expects the program to cost $400 to implement and to raise nearly $30,000 in profit, which he said would be reinvested into programs to benefit students. Vaughan said he does not expect the program to create competition between SGA and the campus bookstore because the exchange would “offer a service for students.” He said the proposal is based upon similar programs at other Kentucky universities. The NKU SGA has implemented a similar program in the past, where students could drop books off at the SGA office for exchange. Vaughan said an online exchange would be more convenient for students and administrators. The senate is still considering approval of the program.

Ky. Post readers: NKU athletics should move to Div. I An online poll by the Kentucky Post during the week of March 15 showed that a majority of readers are in favor of moving NKU athletics from Division II to Division I. Supporters said that the men’s and women’s basketball teams deserve a higher profile due to winning Div. II records. Skeptics said the $3 million cost of a Div. I move is out of reach given NKU’s current budget crisis, according to a March 20 article in the Post. NKU has been considering a move to Div. I for years, but recent state approval of a new special events center for the university has reignited campus and community interest in the idea.

SGA resolves to recite pledge at meetings The Student Government Association approved a resolution March 15 to recite the Pledge of Allegiance before each Monday meeting and to purchase an American flag and flagpole. Sen. Benjamin Harrison proposed the resolution, which the Senate unanimously approved. Reciting the pledge will be optional, after some senators expressed concern that reciting a pledge of allegiance to the American flag could make international students uncomfortable.