Funny Bone brings laughter to Levee

Newport on the Levee’s newest attraction, the Funny Bone Comedy Club and Cafe, promises no shortage of laughs or big-name acts.

The club, based out of St. Louis, opened to a sold-out crowd on New Year’s Eve and shows no sign of slowing down.

The 300-seat venue offers a full dinner menu, plenty of drinks to choose from, and hysterical laughter.

“I think it is just what we need around here. I’ve been once and can’t wait to go again,” said senior Christine Paul, a speech and journalism major.

Nationally, the original Funny Bone has played host to some of the biggest names in the business.

Stars like Jay Leno, Ellen De Generes, Robin Williams and Jim Carrey have showcased their talent at the comedy club.

Along with providing laughs, the Funny Bone Company does its share of charity work.

It has raised over $100,000 for HBO’s Comic Relief, a fundraiser hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal and Robin Williams that helps provide the homeless with health care.

To date, the charity has raised nearly $50 million.

The Funny Bone was also chosen to host HBO’s “Young Comedians Competition,”which gives young adults a shot at superstardom.

Jeffrey Jena, Cincinnati native and part owner of the club, hopes to attract a wide range of audiences by bringing in nationally recognized comedians, as well as providing unique entertainment experiences.

“We bring in the best [comedians] we can find,” Jena said.

Pauly Shore, famous for his roles in “Son-in-Law” and MTV’s “Totally Pauly,” will visit the Levee on February 20 and 21.

Critically acclaimed comedian Margaret Cho will perform March 5 and 6.

Earthquake, who has appeared on BETs “Comic View” and MAD TV, will appear at the Funny Bone March 18-21.

And Bobcat Goldthwait, best known for his roles in “Scrooged” and the “Police Academy” series, will entertain March 25-28.

The club will also feature numerous special events.

Every Wednesday during February and March, students will receive two tickets for the price of one with a valid college I.D. And every Tuesday in March the comedy club will offer an improv night.

And if you think you’re funny enough, The Funny Bone on the Levee also offers “Comedy School.”

Each session is eight weeks of Saturday afternoon classes.

The session will end with a performance at the comedy club in front of a live audience. The first class is free and space is limited.

Send an e-mail to Jeffrey Jena at JeffreyTJ@aol.com with the subject line “Comedy School” for reservations.