Fraternities fulfill terms of sanctions

File Photo

The Phi Kappa Tau (PKT) and Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) fraternities at Northern Kentucky University are completing their sanctions as scheduled, the Office of Student Life said last week.

The fraternities received sanctions in October as a result of controversial recruitment activities that the Office of Student Life found violated “the rules and criteria for registered student organizations,” Director of Student Life Betty Mulkey said in November.

The sanctions required both fraternities to complete two workshops before May 2004.

The workshops are on the topics of sexual harassment and how to apply fraternity values to daily life and to community values.

Each fraternity was required to present the two workshops to the entire fraternity community, according to Tiffany Bellafant, assistant director of student life.

Bellafant said that PKT completed its first workshop earlier this semester, and the TKE workshop is scheduled for Feb. 25.

Women’s Studies professor Mari York will speak at the TKE workshop, Bellafant said.

PKT adviser and Health, Counseling and Prevention Services staff member Bob Wills spoke at the PKT workshop, according to Bellafant.

In order to fulfill the terms of the sanction, the fraternities must hold their second workshops this semester.

The sanctions came in response to student uproar over Sept. 16 fraternity recruitment activities.

PKT held a Jell-O wrestling contest on the UC plaza, which some students said was demeaning to women.

TKE held a safe sex party in the UC Ballroom, and some students complained that a condom relay race objectified women.