Celebration of Student Research and Creativity

Every year, students put hours of hard work into class projects, but receive only a grade as payment for all their hard work.

This year, students will have the opportunity to take their projects a step further and receive a little recognition for their efforts by participating in the Celebration of Student Research and Creativity at Northern Kentucky University.

Any work that students have done throughout the year can be presented at the celebration.

Students can present in five different ways: with poster and oral presentations, interactive demonstrations, performances (musical or theatrical presentations) or exhibitions of their artistic work.

Kristi Martines, Director of Grant Development, Office of Research, Grants, and Contracts, is involved in the planning of the event, along with the Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics (CINSAM).

She said the event is perfect for students who want to take the extra step in their education, and that many students who participate enjoy the experience.

“Students who have had the opportunity to do research/creative projects almost unanimously rave about the wonderful experience,” she said.

“They feel the excitement of applying what they learn to the solution of a novel problem, or of creating something in the arts and sharing it with others.”

Martines said an added benefit of participating in the celebration is having it on a resume.

“Students can list their presentation(s) on their resume/vitae, signaling to employers that they have the ability to work independently, and can conceive, plan, complete and present a project,” she said.

In 2002, the College of Arts and Sciences was the first NKU college to start the event, according to Martines.

“It turned out to be such a great program and was recognized as being so valuable for students, that in 2003, Arts ‘ Sciences agreed that faculty and students throughout the university should be encouraged to participate,” she said.

Any student can participate, including graduate and undergraduate students, and students at Chase College of Law.

Last year, Martines said there were a total of 120 students who gave 95 presentations (students can present research or group projects together).

The event will be held Monday, April 26 through Wednesday, April 28. Students who are interested in participating must register by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 27.

Any student who wants to apply or learn more should visit the event Web site at

College of Professional Studies

Jeff Snyder is a radio television major finishing his third year at NKU.

Jeff is one out of a group who will be presenting at the event.